There have been published mentions of
the Alberg 30 in printed media, too. Not all information is online.
Here is a short list of articles and books that mention the Alberg
30. This list is not claimed to be complete. Please
post additional references to add to this list.
- Blue Water Sailing
- The March 2001 issue contains two articles by Yves Gelinas about his
circumnavigation on Jean-du-Sud and his dismasting off New
Zealand, and in the June 2003 issue, "Crossing the Atlantic on an Alberg 30" by Ciline Lacerte.
- Chesapeake Bay Magazine
- The March 2000
issue has an eight-page article by Jay Livingston
starting on page 70 describing the boat, the one-design racing
and the unique family that is the Alberg 30 Association.
- The March 1997 issue has a
review on page 24
by Jack Horner, a naval architect, marine surveyor and
former Alberg 30 owner.
Magazine, 301 Fourth Street, Annapolis, MD 21403. EMAIL:
- This article can also be
found on the Boat U.S. web site.
- This magazine has a good article by Vicki Lathom in the February 1994 issue
(Port Publications, Inc., 125 E. Main St., Port Washington, WI 53074;
262-284-3494; FAX:262-284-7764) starting on page 40. The only caveat to
that article is that some of the pictures are mis-captioned. If you don't
know the people, that won't really matter.
- The Mariner
- The cover article of the July 1, 1994 issue, starting on page 14.
(Chesapeake Publishing Corporation, P.O. Box 429, 601 Bridge St.,
Elkton, MD 21921; 410-398-3311; FAX 410-398-4044)
- Canadian Yachting magazine
- featured a review in Classic Boats January 1991.
- Chesapeake Bay Magazine
- March 1989 issue.
- Practical Sailor
- The April 15, 1985 issue reviews the Alberg 30.
- Practical Boat Buying, 3rd Ed.
- A book by the editors of Practical Sailor (1994, Belvoir
Publications, Inc.) features an updated review.
- The Sailor's World
- A book by Arthur Beiser (1972, Ridge Press/Grosset & Dunlap, New York,
Library of Congress 78-183593). There's a small picture by Stanley
Rosenfeld of Alberg 30's racing on the lower left corner of page 186.
- Choice Yacht Designs
- A book, now out of print, by Richard Henderson (1979, International
Marine Publishing Company). Chapter 14 is about the Alberg 30.
- With Jean-du-Sud Around the World
- Film shot by Yves Gelinas (1983, Cape Horn Marine Products) while he sailed Jean-du-Sud, hull # 399, single-handed around the world through the Southern Ocean and around Cape Horn, 100 min., available in DVD or VHS at www.CapeHorn.com. The CapeHorn website also contains some articles Yves has written about his boat and its voyages.
- Ocean Cruising on a Budget
- A paperbound book by Anne Hammick (1991, International Marine
Publishing/McGraw-Hill Inc., ISBN 0-87742-300-8) which, in the
short section entitled Seaworthiness and design [pp. 21-23]
suggests the Alberg 30 as an example of an older design of the type
which "make excellent blue water boats."
- How to Choose a Sailboat
- A book I believe is now out of print, by Harvey
Garrett Smith (1969, Doubleday and Company, Inc.) In Chapter 6, page 116, the
full page is devoted to the Alberg 30 with a picture, specs and a short
- Cruising World Magazine
- October 1995, page 107, A cruising world special section
celebrating some of 1995's best boats, both old and new, Great
Boats that stand the test of time - The price is right, has a
short narrative and a picture (drawing) of the A30.
- Sail Magazine
- November 1992, page 46 More Plastic Classics - a
picture (drawing) and a short narrative.
- July 1996, page A51, the article
Boating's Fraternity Party
has a picture of me and, on page A52, a short mention of the
Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 Association. I was disappointed at the
small mention we got and the lack of boating pictures, but there it is.
- Better Sailing
- by Richard Henderson (1977, Henry Regnery Company, International
Marine Publishing, ISBN 0-8092-8242-9) has, on page 164,
Bill Schill's photo of two Alberg 30s racing and a caption offering
advice on racing strategy.
- The Capital
- The newspaper of Annapolis has an article (by Frances Jaques
on pages B1 & B2) about the Alberg 30
Cookbook and has accompanying
photos (by Mark M. Odell) taken aboard our boat, Calypso.
- Mauche's SAILBOAT GUIDE
- copyright 1991 by Janet Mauche, Volumn I, page 461.
One whole page, profile, arrangement and
specifications with short narrative.
- Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere
- by John Vigor, 1999, Paradise Cay Publications, ISBN 0939837-32-3
Alberg 30 is listed and reviewed on pages 1 through 6
Thanks to Bob Maneker, Richard Persohn, David Swanson,
for some of these references.
[an error occurred while processing this directive]